Tuesday, July 4, 2017

The Side Hustle

A side hustle is a thing that you do in addition to your regular job. It should be something that you are passionate about and ideally, it should generate some additional cash for you as well. I started blogging with the intention of making some additional money. I blogged about games. I blogged about my wife having lupus. I even blogged about the life of a super-villain.

None of this made me any money, but I discovered something along the way. Creating something makes me happy. Here are two creative things I really love doing:
  1. Writing - I grown to love writing fiction or creating adventures for my RPG group. Even blogging about games is enjoyable, as long as I really have something to say.
  2. Designing games - I really like sitting down and taking an idea and slowly building it into a game. I love the whole process, from making a prototype to writing the rules.
Both of these can be great side hustles for me. I've already had some success with game design, and I have a game that's currently with a major game publisher. I've also recently entered a game design contest. The problem with game design is that I'm not very good about dedicating time to the process.

I need to explore more options for making money from writing. Blogging about games is great, but I don't have enough traffic to generate any real money. I guess the solution is the get more readers, but I'm not sure how to do that. Another way to make some extra money writing would be to write and sell adventures on a site like DrivethruRPG. I could also try and write some serialized fiction and sell it on Amazon or something.

This side blog is meant to chronicle my efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Getting More Readers

Originally, I was going to name this post Getting More Traffic because that's what most web sites are concerned about, but honestly, wha...